The Spirit of Windrush
Participatory community activities and an event to mark the 75th anniversary of the arrival of HMT Empire Windrush.
Total Spirit grant
March 2023 – December 2024
National Maritime Museum (part of Royal Museums Greenwich)
The Spirit of Windrush is a series of participatory activities and a large-scale event to mark the 75th anniversary of the arrival of HMT Empire Windrush.
Delivered in partnership between National Maritime Museum and the Greenwich Caribbean Social Forum, the project explores how this shared history has shaped British society today through the eyes of lived experience and through descendants of the Windrush generation.
A series of co-created activities including an inter-schools choir, schools workshop, reminiscence sessions, games, and interactive performances culminated in a large-scale event over two days at the National Maritime Museum.
The aim is to provide a platform for compassion and understanding between people with different cultural backgrounds by fostering a shared understanding of this history, challenges the Windrush generation face(d) and challenges facing children/young people of colour today. National Maritime Museum will bring lived experiences to the fore in a national museum, ensuring the stories are shared rather than lost, and embedded within the core remit of the Museum’s charitable purpose.
- Bring people from different backgrounds together
- Celebrate and recognise the contributions the Windrush Generation, their descendants and the wider British Caribbean community have made to Britain
- Build a deeper understanding of and compassion for the challenges the Windrush generation faced on arrival to the UK, and since.
- Develop and test a model to share across sectors on how to bring together communities to mark significant cultural events through co-creation.
- Share learning and build understanding between generations.
- Build confidence and resources of schools to address inclusive and hidden histories, including Windrush as a major event for study
- Document and chart the experiences of the Windrush generation.